Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

31 Days to a Happier Life - Day 2


"True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



The basis of happiness is security, contentment with your surroundings and what is happening in your world, the feeling of peace - with little stress to upset your "level". Stability, a solid foundation, a good support network, love from family and friends, and a sense of confidence all contribute to the happiness factor. If you have all these needs met you should be the happiest person alive, right? Maybe not! Happiness is also the result of how you handle the situation, or how you pursue your life.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions."
- Dalai Lama


Some people are half-full and some are half-empty kind of people. Can you change this? Somewhat, depending how determined you are. 50% of your happiness level is pre-determined, genetic, just how you are made to be. And that is OK! That is the way God made you. You are unique and special and loved by Him regardless. But if you want to get a little more happiness you can! The other 50% is how you handle it, what you do, how you react, what you determine your outcome to be.

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln


So I'm determined to add to my happiness cup. I'm typically an optimistic person, half-cup-full, get-the-job-done, tough-it-out, greet-you-with-a-smile kind of person, but sometimes that reservoir gets depleted, and taxed too low to function properly. 



So with my every-expanding Happiness List I also need to add in Goal Settings.

Goal Settings

1. Short Terms Goals

2 Long Term Goals

Some items on my Happiness List belong on my short term goal list, and others on the long term goal list. I'm pretty sure traveling to Italy will make me very happy, but it is (at present) a long term goal. Putting a little money aside each week or month towards my long term goal of being happy in Italy will definitely help me achieve this goal, and make me happy each time I contribute to something that I have to look forward to in my future. But I need my lists so I can focus my energy in the right areas, towards the right goals, in order to achieve the level of happiness I'm looking for. Make sense?

So here is my goal for today - break up my Happiness List into sections (Personal Goals, Family Goals, Dream Goals, etc) and assign each item to long term or short term , so now I will have a plan for my future, starting tomorrow. SO FREAKIN' EXCITING!!!



Set up short terms and long terms in terms of weeks, months, years. I have always heard it is good to have a 6 month plan, and a 5 year plan, and a whole bunch of plans in between. There are just some things that need 5 years (like saving money for a deposit for a house, or your dream vacation). And some can be achieved in a week (like painting my nails). These plans will be fluid. Nothing is set in stone. But it will definitely help you focus and give you hope for next week, and for the next decade. And hope contributes to happiness :)

So assignments have been set - get lists organized and plans set into action!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment