Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Creating a Home...Inspiration

This morning, I stumbled upon a picture (on pinterest) of a room in Reese Witherspoon's Ojai home - a beautiful, simple entry area, featuring a sweet little desk in front of a window, nestled under a graceful staircase. So, of course, I had to go check out the ELLE article.

The article features Reese's stunning home nestled in the foothills north of Los Angeles - it is definitely worth drooling over checking out all the photos in the ELLE spread.



But what struck me most about the article (yes, please read the article - the history of the house is almost as amazing as the house itself) was this paragraph:

"It reminds me of growing up in Tennessee, where we spent all day outside," she says. "I wanted my children to have that experience, to get muddy and hang out with the animals."
Indeed, Witherspoon has turned Libbey Ranch into a menagerie. A Friesian horse and a chestnut pony share the paddock. There are donkeys, goats, pigs, chickens, and four whimsically named dogs: Hope, Nashville, Coco Chanel, and Hank Williams. Neff fashioned animal silhouettes that are perched on wooden fences around the property. Witherspoon's favorite, a dog and cat on a courtyard gate, serves as a gathering spot for family photos.

It is the fact that they know what they love (animals) and have incorporated it into their home in a beautiful, tasteful, but also playful way - how gorgeous! That really is the essence of what makes a house a home. I would love to see a pic of the animal silhouettes on the wooden fences...but I guess imagining them is just as sweet. I also love how this allows them all to connect to their home - making memories with family photos by the wooden fence silhouettes, having animals to tend to, having the space for the kids to run around outside, playing in the dirt, and gathering together in the evenings for games, or just talking around the fire.

I know we all don't have this big fancy house, but that should not stop you from making your house a real loving beautiful place where you and your family can make many happy memories together, for many years to come. It is all how you see it, perceive it and what you do with it. Maybe start with a place you would like to take family portraits - make it something special for you and your family. I think I need to get out my sketch book and start on my own.

Thanks for the inspiration, Reese! ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment